SEARCH

Prosperity: How you should pray

How should Christians pray in regard to money? Should Christians pray for their prosperity? Is it godly to desire riches in the form of material wealth?

There is one prayer in the bible that needs more than a little attention today:
"Two things I ask of you, O LORD ;
do not refuse me before I die:
Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
give me neither poverty nor riches,
but give me only my daily bread.
Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
and say, 'Who is the LORD ?'
Or I may become poor and steal,
and so dishonor the name of my God.

(Proverbs 30:7-9)
This was the prayer of Agur son of Jakeh. It is a prayer which has more obvious application for the Christian than the prayer of Jabez, for one simple reason: The Lord's own prayer, in his instruction to his disciples on "how you should pray", took up these very words:
He said to them, "When you pray, say:

" 'Father,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come.
Give us each day our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins,
for we also forgive everyone who sins against us.
And lead us not into temptation.' "
(Luke 11:2-4)
Jesus, echoing the prayer of wisdom in Proverbs - the prayer of Agur son of Jakeh - taught us that we should pray only for our daily bread. "Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread." (Proverbs 30:8).

The reasons are evident. " '...Forgive us our sins... And lead us not into temptation.' " (Luke 11:4) "Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the LORD?' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God." (Proverbs 30:9). talkingpentecostalism.blogspot.com | joe towns: christian discussion on pentecost, charisma, pentecostal and charismatic beliefs, the Bible and Jesus; including the origin and history of pentecostalism, baptism in the Holy Spirit, speaking in tongues, gifts and miracles, divine healing and word of faith, prosperity and wealth, praise and worship, guidance and hearing the voice of the Holy Spirit.